Monday, August 23, 2010

Making the final product...

1. I started off by using the stretch striped shirt to practice creating the front of the turban:
2. I was undecided about how to create the back of my turban. I stitched different sleeves together and pleated them to create an interesting look:

3. I practiced pinning the sleeves in place to see how they would fit. I placed each pair above each other so I could tie the rest of the sleeves around the crown of the head. I practised twisting and knotting them to create the flower and stem technique I liked from my previous experiments:

4. I then went ahead to cut the main bodies of each shirt into 1/2s and 1/3rds as illustrated.

5. After cutting the shirts bodies into pretty even strips I calculated how may I would need to create the body of the turban. I used the remaining strips to create volume between the foam and on the crown of the head to create more volume. I decided to use the stretch striped fabric for the front of the turban. I used the hem from the bottom of this shirt as the hem that frames the face to give it a neat edge.I stretched it out a bit to keep it tort. I folded and pleated it into 4 folds which I hand-stitched in place. I repeated this process with the rest of the strips to create the body of the turban as illustrated below.

6. Below you can see the back of the turban where you can see that i have used the remaining strips as stuffing material to give the turban volume. I then started to hand-stitch the sleeves into place:

7. I then started to twist and fold alternative sleeves, tying and twisting them together to create the 'flower' and 'stem' look that I have experimented with.

The final product:


No comments:

Post a Comment