Saturday, August 21, 2010

Turban...Making the base

1. Making the base was a lengthy process. After fiddling around trying to think of the best way possible to create a decent edge to the base I found that the neckline of the shirt below was near perfect the measurement I needed: 57cm circumference.
2. I started to pleat and fold from the front of the forehead towards the near centre of the back & front trying to create a moulded head shape. Once I was satisfied with the fit I cut the pinned areas from the shirt as you can see below:

3. I managed to get a very fitted, pretty neat little base. I then hand-stitched the folds and joining seams together:

4. I was hoping it would fit a normal human head but once I tried it on it was too small. So below show how I pushed the forehead edge backwards so I could add a piece to the front to enlarge it:

5. I then cut out a semi-circular piece from the bottom front hem of the shirt. It was a bit too large so I inserted into the back a piece of elastic band which I took out from a second hand skirt. I cut a slit up the back and inserted it into either side. It didn't help much!


6. I the turned it inside out so I could then have neat inside for the turban.

7. I found some scraps of foam and silver carpeting from purchases I had made from Reverse Garbage last semester. I decided that I cut up what I had of the silver carpeting to add some sturdiness to my base to help keep the mould in place. I then cut the foam into 5 strips and placed them in certain areas to add some volume. I hand-stitched it all to the base, making sure that the base was stretched out a little so it wouldn't create tension when putting it on.





So there we have my base of my turban! It looks a bit like a martians hat at this stage but I am starting to fiddle around with the rest of the garments to create the actual turban. Stay tuned for the next step of making a turban out of second hand clothes...

No comments:

Post a Comment