Monday, August 23, 2010

My Philosophy...

"After acquiring all knowledge, being able to think for yourself, aloud, is to be a great designer. It is speaking your own language, visual or verbal, couched in a language that is already understood. To create something fabulous, feminine, delicious, moral without walls and rich with past. I design dreams."

"I design for those who feel they are wearing their best friend: comfortable, past memories, love, honest and rich in culture."


I have really enjoyed this collaboration with Heidi. Through looking at her aesthetic I was finally able to realize what my aesthetic is as a designer. I still find it hard to put into words but I am getting there.

Working this project with sustainability in mind has been interesting. I have certainly learnt a lot in that designing is not creating an idea and producing it. You have to look at every process that that design will have to go through in order to be produced. As designers and artists we need to be aware of the environmental impact of a textile from fiber growth, manufacturing, transportation right through to the end product. Being naive to environmental impacts made by our decisions is not acceptable anymore. It should never have been.

I will try to get there. But it will take time to change my whole process of thinking in that I won't have such beautiful fabrics to work with, but is child labor and green house gas emissions worth it? No, no at any cost. It is going to be a slow process but its time to head in that direction. Zero waste is definitely something i can start incorporating today.

No comments:

Post a Comment